Tuesday, February 06, 2007

TWINKIE CAKE
One of the fun aspects of this job is learning about unusual recipes that readers have discovered. Often I learn about these culinary treasurers because the recipe has been misplaced. I might get a call or e-mail like the following from Betty Topping:

"Dear Teresa, " she e-mailed. "You have helped me in the past so I hope you can come thru for me another time. I have had this recipe for 15 years and I have lost it, and I need it. It is for Twinkie Cake. Yes, if you close your eyes and eat it it really does taste like twinkies. I baked it in a 9X13 pan, split it horizontally when cool and spread on a cooked filling. I have wasted hours looking for this recipe so I really hope you or your readers can help me. Thank you for being there for me!"

I did a Google search and came up with the following. I sent it to Topping to see if that was what she was looking for. I haven't heard back that it was the right one but it sounded like something fun to try. Here is the recipe from The History of the Twinkie site.

Almost Twinkie Cake
1 package white cake mix
1/2 cup oil
3 Eggs
1 small package vanilla instant pudding
1 cup water
2 teaspoons vanilla (divided)
4 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Crisco
1/2 cup margarine, softened
Combine cake mix, oil, eggs, pudding and water and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour into a greased and floured 9 x 13-inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until cake tests done. In a saucepan mix the flour with the milk. Cook until thick, stirring constantly; cool. Add sugar, salt, crisco, margarine and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until fluffy. Spread on the cooled cake. Store in refrigerator.

No comments: