AND THE WINNER IS ...
Deb, who answered our call for a recipe using chicken breasts with her recipe for Rosemary Chicken. (Another plus: It's a slow-cooker dish!) Deb now gets to choose a cookbook from our stash, but she needs to call us at 636-0194 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a time.
Want to add to your cookbook collection? Send us your favorite crowd-pleasing recipe -- the one that family and friends beg you to make time and again.
In the meantime, here's Deb's recipe:
Nonstick cooking spray
1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves or thighs
1 (9-ounce) package frozen artichoke hearts
12 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed (slightly less if using fresh rosemary)
1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon cold water
Lemon wedges (optional)
1. Coat an unheated large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat over medium heat. Brown chicken, half at a time, in hot skillet.
2. In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine frozen artichoke hearts, garlic, and onion.
3. In a small bowl, combine broth, rosemary, lemon peel and pepper. Pour over vegetables in slow cooker. Add browned chicken; spoon some of the garlic mixture over chicken.
4. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 3-1/2 hours.
5. Transfer chicken and artichokes to a serving platter, reserving cooking liquid. Cover chicken and artichokes with foil to keep warm.
6. If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and the cold water. Stir into liquid in slow cooker. Cover and cook about 15 minutes more or until slightly thickened. Spoon sauce over chicken and artichokes. If desired, serve with lemon wedges.